Sunday, October 25, 2009

Video of the week

From now on I have decided to add a "video of the week" post to my blog. Rather than just explain facts of the game and tips to help you, I thought it would be fun to post a video each week, which may or may not be instructional. Even though there are many videos posted on youtube related to disc golf, I have found the videos which will attract my followers the most.

This week's video is instructional and it was created by Team Discraft. Yes, I know that I have stated in earlier posts that I prefer Innova over Discraft, however, Discraft's website has posted several videos which help people throw the disc better and improve their game quickly. So, as I searched through some of their videos, I came across one related to putting because putting is the most important skill to have in disc golf. Similar to ball golf, if you want to lower your scores you have to decrease the number of putts you have in a round.

Mark Ellis, a Discraft team member, teaches you the basics of putting. First, you learn the proper way to grip the disc. For a putter you can use a fan grip, with your index finger on the edge of the putter. This helps give you more control with the disc and increase your accuracy with the putt. Next, how you stand in relation to the basket can have a huge impact on how far you will throw the putter. Make sure you try to center your body directly in front of the basket and if you are right-handed, put your right foot in front of your left. During the throw, it is crucial that you transfer your weight from your back foot to your front. Finally, the release point of the disc will definitively affect the direction of the putt. If you throw the disc too low it will come up short of the basket and if you throw the disc to high it will go over the basket or the wind may take it a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics